Chili con carne is a famous recipe using meat and chili and is known as “Chili”. It is a spice stew usually spiced with chili peppers. It is a popular dish for cook-offs. In Spanish, the word chili refers to a “chili pepper”, and carne means “meat”.
The American settlers used dried beef, sue, salt, and dried chili peppers which were pounded together and formed into bricks and left to dry. In this way it was easy to cook while traveling through the country. It was cooked in pots over the fire. Did you know that Chili con carne is the official dish of Texas?
Here is a recipe for you that you can make in the slow cooker or crock pot.
Ingredients Chili Con Carne Crock Pot
2lb ground beef (extra lean)
2-3 onions, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
red peppers chopped and seeds removed – to taste – 1-2 should be fine
1-3 tsp chili powder – to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
2 cans chopped tomatoes (each 400g)
1-2 tbsp tomato concentrate
2 cubes beef stock – organic
salt, black pepper to taste
1-2 cans red kidney beans
– Saute chopped onions and garlic until transparent in a pan (use some butter and some olive oil), add meat and brown it a little.
– Add red pepper, chili powder and crumbled beef stock cubes and mix well.
– Add chopped tomatoes and concentrate and bring to a boil
– Place content of the pan into the slow cooker, then add red kidney beans and salt, black pepper.
– Make sure that the slow cooker is not filled completely to the top, it should be 2/3rd full.
– Stir and cover with the lid. Turn cooker on low.
– Let it cook for about 6 hours; it is okay if it is cooking longer, it won’t burn, but not longer than 8 hours. Once cooked turn to warm and leave for another 3 hours. ( the cooking time might vary from cooker to cooker.
Serve it with rice. Make sure it does not get too hot!