When spring is in full bloom one vegetable says spring like none other-the asparagus! In this episode we’ll visit Cane Creek Asparagus Company farm that specializes in asparagus. They produce some of the best white asparagus in the US and sell their crop to the best chefs in the country. This vegetable is only available in spring and has incredible culinary uses. Chef Snow will learn how it/s grown then grab a bunch to take back to cook with.
Now that you know more about asparagus, here is a great asparagus recipe made with fresh ricotta cheese, Gruyere cheese and several types of wild mushrooms, all baked into a nice crust.
Ingredients Asparagus Pie
1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
3 tbs organic butter
1/4 cup sliced leeks white part only
1 tbs thyme minced
1/4 cup white wine dry
1 bunch asparagus tips only
1 lb mushrooms assorted wild or domestic
2 large eggs
1 cup Gruyere cheese grated
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
2 cups ricotta cheese whole milk
salt & pepper to taste
Instructions Asparagus Pie
– In a large saute pan over medium high heat cook the garlic and leeks until they begin to soften about 5 minutes.
– Now add the mushrooms and continue to cook for another 7-8 minutes or until they begin to wilt. Now add the asparagus and cook for a few more minutes and deglaze with white wine. Add the thyme and season to taste.
– In a large bowl combine the ricotta, egg, 1/2 cup Parmesan, 1 tablespoon Gruyere and salt and pepper. Mix well.
– In the pre-baked pie shell spread the ricotta cheese mixture on the bottom and top with the some of the remaining Gruyere and Parmesan cheese.
– Top the cheese with the asparagus and mushroom mixture and top with the remaining cheese.
– Bake for 25 minutes in a preheated 350-degree oven
If you have any leftover filling, just toss some cooked whole wheat pasta with it, use as lasagna filling, or top some crisp bread and you’ve got a nice appetizer.