This is an easy creme brulee recipe. It is also called burnt cream and it is coming originally from France. Why is this dessert so special?
It is basically vanilla flan or pudding which will be cooked in the oven before it is served with a sweet, caramelized layer on top.
You have to use special creme brulee or ramekin forms, and the best is to use a set that includes a torch for caramelizing. Enjoy this wonderful, classic dessert. It will be the highlight of your dinner!
Ingredients Easy Creme Brulee Recipe No 1 (European Recipe)
for 4 bigger forms or 6 smaller ones
400 ml organic heavy cream
140 ml full fat milk
65g sugar, brown or white (more or less, depending how sweet it should be)
4 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean, 1 tsp liquid vanilla
1 organic lemon, zest
castor sugar for caramelizing
Cooking Instructions Easy Creme Brulee
- Separate eggs.
- Split vanilla bean and sratch out the seeds with a knife or a small spoon.
- First combine heavy cream, egg yolks and milk (this is important).
- Add all remaining ingredients, mix well, and let sit for at least 30 min.
- Fill in ramekin or creme brulee forms (they must be fire proof).
- Pre-heat oven to 300 F.
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil
- Place the forms in a roasting or baking pan first, then fill with hot water.
- Place the form on the rack (medium height).
- It needs to cook for 50-60 min. It is okay when you see that the surface has become bubbly and shows a brown color.
- Let cool off, place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or over night.
- Place on each form a layer of sugar, 1 tbsp of very fine white sugar (don’t use brown sugar as it burns much faster than white sugar).
- Use a gas special chef’s torch to glaze the sugar slowly and evenly until it has caramelized and makes a smooth, shiny layer.
- Using the Broiler:
The forms have to be very cold! Place them in the oven on the highest rack. Turn on broiler to high. Broil for five to 10 minutes, but you need to monitor it very carefully. Rotate the forms because they have to broil evenly. Please wear protective gloves when touching the forms and to protect the hands from the broiler grill.
Ingredients Easy Creme Brulee Recipe No 2 (American recipe)
1 vanilla bean
3 large eggs
1 dash salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup regular white sugar
For caramelizing: 1/3 cup very fine white sugar
Instructions are the same as in the European recipe above.