French endive with ham gratin is a French dish which is called in French “endives au jambon”; it is a casserole with a special salad that is called endive.
Ingredients (serves 6)
12 endives (medium size), they need to be closed
6 tbsp butter, unsalted
some lemon juice, pinch of salt
1/4 cup water
12 slices of cooked ham
– gently rinse endive under cold water, drain and shake, remove any wilted leaves
– melt butter in a pan, arrange endives in 2 layers, sprinkle them with lemon juice, salt and add the water.
– boil for 10 min covered and 10 min uncovered.
– remove endive and let cool off.
– wrap each endive in a slice of ham; remove all fat from the ham first if there should be any. Endive should be wrapped completely.
– place wrapped endive in a fire proof dish that was buttered before.
Make the Sauce Bechamel
2 tbsp butter (unsalted)
3 tbsp flour
2 cups hot milk, salt ( you also could use heavy creme or creme fraiche)
Melt butter, stir in flour and stir constantly with a wooden spoon; add the hot milk and pinch of salt, stir fast and constantly to prevent lump building! The butter-flour mix and the milk must blend perfectly.
Bring to a gentle boil for app 1 min.
– pour the sauce over the endive, you can place some dots of butter on top, place in pre-heated oven on 375 F and bake for 35 min. Do the test with a pointy knife: poke into the endive to see if it is tender and soft.
Five min before the end of cooking time add grated cheese of your choice and place it under the broiler to get a crust.