Hola! Are you a fan of the authentic Mexican cuisine? Have you ever looked for a traditional and easy to make Tamales recipe? Your search is over now, yes it is! Here is your hot traditional tamales recipe from Mexico. We were lucky to find this authentic and original Mexican recipe and we would love to share it with you.
Here’s a little tip already before you get started: Normally you use corn masa which is fresh ground corn but if you cannot find it, unless you live in California, just use corn flour. And should it happen that you have problems finding that, you can use the flour they use for making tortillas. We recommend the organic versions as we want to stay healthy and will not recommend genetically modified corn. Below you can find some masa harina flour and even a gluten free one! But now let’s go – Arriba!
Ingredients Hot Traditional Tamales Recipe from Mexico
For the Dough
- 3 cups flour: Masa Harina for Tortillas (organic)
- 1 1/3 cup lard
- 2 1/2 cups broth – you cook the meat in broth
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Salt if needed, keep in mind the broth has already salt in it
For the Meat:
- 3/4 pound of pork shoulder cut in cubes.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 white onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
For the Sauce:
- 2 Ancho Peppers cleaned, de-veined, seeded.
- 3 Guajillo Peppers cleaned, de-veined, seeded.
- 2 small garlic cloves,
- 1/3 tsp fresh ground cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 16 large corn husks plus some more for the steaming pot
Recipe from Mexicoinmykitchen.com