The mixed beans veggie soup consists of a a bean mix with navy, black, red, pinto, baby limas, large limas, garbanzo, great northern, kidney beans, black-eyed, yellow split, green, split peas and lentil beans. If you soak them over night in water the cooking time reduces drastically.
I find the mix at Trader Joe’s or as you can see below Bobs Red Mill has also a good bean mix. If you want to add otehr vegetable such as zucchini, broccoli or cauliflower add it 30-45 min before the soup is done. If you don’t like soft veggies, add them even 20 min before the soup is done. It is an easy soup to make. Serve it with fresh bread.
Ingredients Mixed Beans Veggie soup
Servings: serves 4-5
1 cup mixed beans
2-3 carrots, sliced
6 baby zucchini, sliced
1 onion medium, chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 bay leaves
1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
2-3 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp tomato paste
bit of fresh grated nutmeg
1-2 tsp sage, dried
1 cube instant vegetable broth (Rapunzel, organic)
pink Himalayan salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, sweet paprika to taste
about 2-4 cups water, depending on the thickness
Cooking Instructions Mixed Beans Veggie Soup
– soak bean mix in water for some hours or best over night
– heat olive oil in a tall pan, saute chopped onions until transparent, add bay leaves.
– rinse bean mix, place into pot, fill up with enough water.
– add spices, mustard, vinegar, instant broth and tomato paste. Mix well.
– bring to a boil, reduce heat, then let simmer covered for at least 1 hour. Stir frequently, soup should not get stuck at the bottom of the pan.
– add veggies, let simmer for another 30-45 min. The soup is done when the beans are soft. There are beans in this mix which are harder than others. These beans are white, I taste them and if they are soft, the soup is done.
If you need to add more water because the soup is too thick, add also more spices. As a typical bean soup, it tastes even better the next day. The bean soup is great for freezing too.
Place soup in a freezer bag and place the bag then into an empty round yoghurt cup. Place it in the freezer. Remove the yoghurt cup. Now the soup fits perfectly into a pot!