The pumpkin season is near! And like every year we ask ourselves: What to do with pumpkins? How to cook them? You can make a soup of course. Or find a nice Hokkaido pumpkin and fill it – CLICK to go to the recipe). But we have a better idea for this year! Use our Pickled Sweet-Sour Pumpkin Recipe for delicious pickled pumpkin! We found a great recipe for sweet-sour pickled pumpkin. The pumpkin can be canned or not. It is up to you. Canning is actually very easy. Let’s pickle!
Ingredients Pickled Sweet-Sour Pumpkin
2.2 lb pumpkin
2.5 cups sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cinnamon sticks
6 black peppercorns
1 or 2 small dried chilies
some slices of fresh ginger
additional water and vinegar
Cooking Instructions Pickled Sweet-Sour Pumpkin
1. Remove all the seeds, all fiber of the pumpkin (see video how), remove the skin too.
2. Cut the peeled pumpkin in small eatable cubes.
3. Soak the pumpkin cubes over night in a vinegar-water mix: for 16 cups water use 2 cups vinegar.
– All Pumpkin pieces should be covered well (if needed use more liquid).
4. The next day drain the pumpkin.
5. Place cinnamon, pepper corns, chilies, cloves, and some slices of ginger into a linen bag (herb bag).
6. In a big pot mix pumpkin with sugar, water and vinegar (to taste) – use more sugar if it should be sweeter or less).
7. Boil pumpkin until the pieces look transparent. It depends on what pumpkin you are using and how firm or soft you like the pumpkin to be.
8. Fill in sterilized jars (rinse jars with boiling hot water before using them, place them upside down on a clean kitchen cloth). Or visit this page to get more information about – How to Sterilize Jars –
9. Can the jars for 30 min at 160 F in the oven or use a water bath.
If you don’t want to can the jars keep them in the fridge and enjoy them right away.
Do you know ho to peel, seed and cut a pumpkin? If not watch the video below.