Polenta Bites can be appetizers or a side dish for any fried meat or fish. I had them with crab cakes and it was just great. It is a vegetarian dish; you can vary the vegetables but use it fresh and not from the jar.
Ingredients (serves 3)
1 already made Polenta roll (like from Trader Joe’s)
or make the Polenta from scratch and use it the next day for this recipe – Go to the Polenta recipe –
6-7 baby zucchini
dried oregano, salt, pepper
some lemon juice
1 cup grated cheese (use pepper jack if you like it spicy, cheddar or Parmesan)
– Make Polenta per instructions
– When using the Polenta roll, cut of plastic wrap and slice it.
– Place the slices in a fire proof form; sprinkle them with salt and pepper, some oregano and spread a tiny bit of butter on each slice.
– Put in pre-heated oven on 350 F and bake for about 15 minutes.
– Meanwhile cut all ingredients into small pieces.
– Saute the onions in s bit of olive oil, add zucchini, chopped tomato and mushrooms; spice with salt and pepper and some oregano, add 1/2 tsp lemon juice.
– Set aside. Grate the cheese.
– Take out Polenta and fill a heap of the veggie mix on top of each slice, top with grated cheese.
– Put back in oven until cheese is molten and looks a bit crispy.
Serve it hot with crab cakes or have it just as an appetizer.