Living a healthy lifestyle is important in these modern, stressful times. If you’re a hard working person with little time on your hands, this is the perfect salad that will help keep you trim without taking up too much time to prepare.
There’s an old saying that we all know: An apple a day keeps the doctor away! Well, there’s another saying that’s not nearly as well known but just as potent nonetheless: A salad a day keeps the pounds away!
Would you like to stay slim and keep the excess weight off? One sure fire method of doing that is to eat a salad as one of your meals every day. Salads are mostly water-based foods, and you’ll feel full without eating much in the way of calories and fat.
One great salad that’s both healthy and quick to make is a spinach salad topped with seared scallops. It’s very tasty! The ingredients listed in this article will provide four generous servings for you and your guests.
Ingredients Scallop and Spinach Salad
2 large onions (or shallots if you prefer)
4 large tomatoes
10 ounces of fresh spinach
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
12 large scallops
1 tablespoon butter
Cooking Instructions Scallop and Spinach Salad
- Although spinach makes up a large part of this salad, sand and grit does not (unless you like sand in your salad!). To remove excess materials from your spinach, you’ll need to thoroughly rinse it in cold water. You can then place it on a paper towel to let the water run off and use another paper towel to pat them dry.
- After your spinach is cleaned and nearly dry, cut the stems off. The stems can often give a slightly bitter taste to a spinach salad. On the plus side, if you leave them on, you’ll add a bit of crunch to every bite. Which would you prefer – crunchy or bitter free? It’s up to you.
- The next ingredient is onions. For a strong taste, use red onions or yellow onions. If you prefer a milder taste, use white onions or even shallots (shallots are miniature onions with a very mild flavor). Finely the chop the onions and mix them with your spinach.
- The next stage is to create the salad dressing. Mix two tablespoons of sherry and two tablespoons of sesame oil into a large bowl. If you enjoy soy sauce, add a single tablespoon to the bowl, and then mix everything together.
- I’m a big garlic fan and I’ll pretty much add garlic to everything I cook. Crush two cloves of garlic and add to the mix. Then, salt and pepper to your preferred taste.
- When you’re done mixing the dressing together, pour it over the bowl of spinach and onions, and toss gently. Next, dice four large tomatoes and add to the mix (rinse and clean them first). Toss once again, and then divide the salad equally onto four plates.
- The scallops are next. Bring a medium sized frying pan to medium heat. Throw a tablespoon of butter on there and let it melt. Rinse and clean your scallops, and then sear them on each side for 3 to 4 minutes each. When they’re finally done, place them on top of each salad and serve!
This is a quick and easy salad to make, and with the garlic and spinach, it’s quite healthy for you.
About the Author
For great tasting salad dressings, please visit: RedShell.com