Let’s go to Spain and cook some Spanish Garlic Shrimps or Prawns! But wait a minute. Are prawns and shrimps the same or is there a difference?
Well, there is a difference between shrimp and prawns if you look at it biologically (not culinary), they have different gills which is actually not very much important.
It’s more about how people gave them the names. For example is “Prawn” often used in the Southern USA, while in the North the term shrimp would be rather used.
In Britain and in many Asian countries, it’s all about the size: Small crustaceans are called shrimp; larger ones, prawns. So here we are. For this recipe we want larger ones. Each shrimp or prawn should weigh 80g. And they should be fresh, the best is from a fish market. The original recipe is asking for shelled shrimps and if you choose this kind, you need to remove them out of the shell. We added a video so you can see how this is done. Let’s cook!
Ingredients Spanish Garlic Shrimp or Prawns
12 fresh shrimp with shells or without (each should be 80g)
salt, pepper to taste
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 jar of olives filled with red pepper
2 garlic cloves
3-4 tbsp chopped parsley
4 lemon slices
– remove shell from the shrimp and pat dry with kitchen paper.
– spice shrimps with salt, pepper and lemon juice and place 3 shrimps each in a small oven safe form such as onion soup bowls
– cut olives in slices, peel garlic and chop fine.
– heat oil in a pan, add garlic and olives, spice with some salt and pepper.
– spread the olive-oil mix evenly over shrimp.
– cook in the oven on the second lowest level on 400 F for 10-15 min.
– sprinkle with parsley before serving and place in each bowl one slice of lemon.
Serve with fresh baguette and a glass of red wine.