Tortellini en brodo is with other words a Tortellini soup or Tortellinis served in a broth. It is a classic Italian soup that is great as a starter or appetizer. Use dried or fresh tortellinis; I prefer dried ones because they are smaller. The best Tortellinis are from Barilla and I would suggest if you get the dried ones, get original Italian tortellinis. I personally love the Trader Joes Tortellini because they are so small.
Ingredients Tortellini en brodo (serves 2)
1 cup dried tortellini (filled with cheese or pesto or your favorite filling) – DaVinci Spinach Tortellini, 7-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)
1-2 cubes vegetable broth, organic eg from Rapunzel or organic chicken or beef stock – Rapunzel Pure Organic Vegetable Bouillon with Sea Salt & Herbs, 8 Cubes, 3.1-Ounce Packages (Pack of 6)
handful of frozen peas
1 spring onion, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
3/4 l water
black pepper, fresh grated nutmeg
chopped parsley (optional)
Cooking Instructions Tortellini en Brodo
– cook tortellini per instructions. Drain them and set aside.
– in a pot add water, then add broth cube, sliced carrot, spring onion and bring to a boil, reduce heat.
– or add all ingredients except peas to the chicken/beef stock.
– when vegetable is soft add peas and tortellini.
– Add nutmeg and black pepper. Take off heat, cover with a lid and let sit for 2-3 minutes until tortellinis are hot.
– sprinkle chopped parsley on top before serving.