The vegetable lasagna with pesto is a wonderful meat-less dish, just right for Vegetarians. It takes some time to make it and you would need some cooking practice. You can add different vegetables of course. Add broccoli or carrots instead zucchini.
Ingredients Vegetable Lasagna with Pesto
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 sprigs of thyme
3 medium zucchini, sliced evenly
1 ½ plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
9 no cook lasagna noodles
¼ cup basil pesto sauce
½ pound ricotta cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
zest of ½ lemon
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
4 ounces shredded mozzarella
½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
4 tablespoon olive oil
½ tablespoon butter
Cooking instructions Vegetable Lasagna with Pesto
- Start off your lasagna recipe by just adding a little of the olive oil and butter to a saucepan and heating it on a low flame until butter has melted.
- Then stir in the onions and thyme leave and continue to saute over a low flame till the onions are nicely caramelized for the lasagna recipe.
- Preheat oven to 150° C or 300 F.
- After that in a separate bowl, toss zucchini slices with a little more olive oil and season with salt to taste.
- Arrange the zucchini slices on the baking sheets and cook in the oven for around 35-40 minutes till they’re tender.
- Increase temperature slightly and bake a little longer till they’re slightly brown for the lasagna.
- In another bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, shredded Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, parsley, and add salt and black pepper to taste.
- In a separate pan, melt the remaining butter over medium heat until it’s a little bubble.
- Then add in the remaining thyme leaves, Dijon mustard and the chopped parsley.
- Remove from heat and mix thoroughly. Now sprinkle in all the breadcrumbs and toss to combine. Keep it aside for the lasagna assembly.
- Take a lasagna baking dish and add a layer right at the bottom of a part of the onions, zucchini and tomato slices. Then add a layer of 3 of the no-cook lasagna noodles. Add a thin, even layer of the pesto sauce on top. Then put a part of the cheese mixture and spread it evenly and then add a layer of a part of the mozzarella. Keep repeating till all the ingredients are used up and your last layer is the lasagna noodles with a topping of the cheese.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top and cover lasagna in aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight so it can soak up all the flavors well.
- Preheat oven to 180° C or 350 F.
- Take lasagna recipe out of the fridge and place it in the oven immediately.
- Bake it for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 40 minutes more till the cheese is bubbly and golden brown on top.
About the Author
Rajiv Tiwari is an out and out gourmet whose love of food has made him travel to all top food destinations. In this bouquet of articles Rajiv discusses some quick tips on food recipes, and shows us how you can make awesome food recipes. See also: cook lasagna, lasagne recipe